What is an Action Group?
An Action Group is a group of volunteers (including at least four KPU students) who come together to do work on a social or environmental justice issue (or issues). Each Action Group operates under the banner of KPIRG and receives financial and organizational support from the organization. Action Groups have access to the following resources:
- A $200 semesterly budget
- Access to training – eg) anti-oppression training, facilitation training, etc.
- Event organizing and campaign support
- Access to the centre’s resources, which includes things like:
Use of KPIRG’s meeting room & lounge for your events and meetings* Photocopying* Use of the computers and space on the hard drive to save your stuff* Megaphone*
Paints & banner supplies* General office supplies* Coffee makers*
- Help booking rooms at any of the KPU campuses for your events
- A page on our website
- An email address that ends in @kpirg.ca.
- Storage space at KPIRG
- A mailbox at KPIRG
Examples of Current Action Groups
How to Become an Action Group?
If you are interested in starting a new Action Group, please click this link and fill in the form. It will go to KPIRG’s Board of Directors for consideration and they will decide whether or not to approve the application based on a number of factors. Some of the questions that the Board will consider include:
- Does the mandate of the Action Group fit within KPIRG’s values?
- Does the group include at least four KPU students?
- Does KPIRG have money left in the budget to fund this group?
If you have any questions, want to talk about your ideas or need help filling in the application, please contact KPIRG: email@example.com. They will be happy to talk to you about your application.