An Action Group is a group of volunteers (including at least four KPU students) who come together to do work on a social or environmental justice issue (or issues). Each Action Group operates under the banner of KPIRG and receives financial and organizational support from the organization. Action Groups have access to the following resources:
- A $200 per-term budget
- Access to training – eg) anti-oppression training, facilitation training, etc.
- Event organizing and campaign support
- Access to the centre’s resources, which includes things like:
- Use of KPIRG’s meeting room & lounge for your events and meetings
- Paints & banner supplies
- General office supplies
- Coffee makers
- Help booking rooms at any of the KPU campuses for your events
- A page on our website
- An email address that ends in @kpirg.ca.
Examples of Current Action Groups
Fossil Free Kwantlen, KPU Open Media
How to Become an Action Group?
If you are interested in starting a new Action Group, please click this link and fill in the form. It will go to KPIRG’s Board of Directors for consideration and they will decide whether or not to approve the application based on a number of factors. Some of the questions that the Board will consider include:
- Does the mandate of the Action Group fit within KPIRG’s values?
- Does the group include at least four KPU students?
- Does KPIRG have money left in the budget to fund this group?
If you have any questions, want to talk about your ideas or need help filling in the application, please contact KPIRG: firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be happy to talk to you about your application.
What Does KPIRG Expect from its Action Groups?
- We ask that all new Action Groups attend an Action Group Orientation, which will include an introduction to KPIRG’s values, an orientation of the space and resources you can access, etc.
- We ask that all Action Groups work within the framework of KPIRG’s values and abide by all KPIRG policies.
- We ask that at least two members of your group (and hopefully all) attend anti-oppression training. This can include a general KPIRG Anti-Oppression workshop, an anti-oppression workshop offered elsewhere, or you can request specific training for your group which we will do our best to offer if our capacity allows.
- We ask that all Action Groups recognize KPIRG’s support by including our logo on all outreach materials.
- We invite you to table with us at Clubs Days and other tabling opportunities.
- We ask you to keep us informed about your plans and stay in dialogue with us.