JOB POSTING: KPIRG Events & Street Team Coordinator
Closing Date: Friday December 16th, 2016
Part-Time Student Position: 16 hours / week
16 week term: Starting January 9th, 2017
Wage Rate: $15.00/hour
We are looking for a student to fill the position of Events & Street Team Coordinator for a 16-week term, starting January 9, 2017. Applicants must be able to work up to 16 hours/week, during office hours. The wage rate is $15.00/hr.
KPIRG’s Events & Street Team Coordinator is responsible for promoting KPIRG and its different areas of work, under the guidance of the Directors and Staff. The successful candidate will be a member of the United Steelworkers – Local 2009.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities Include:
- The Street Team will play a major role during Orientation by increasing awareness of KPIRG amongst students that are new to KPU.
- Members of the team will be required to plan events in busy areas during the school day. However, although rare, some evening and weekend work may be required from time-to-time.
- Prepare and schedule outreach events throughout the year.
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through tabling at all KPU campuses.
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through organizing and delivering classroom talks.
- Reception, office coverage and other admin & outreach tasks as required.
- Outreach support around event planning with Directors and Staff.
- Plan and connect with organizations and groups on campus to work on events throughout the term.
- Assist in coordination of logistics for Term Volunteer Recruitment Drive of KPIRG, including preparing for event coordination for the fall term.
- Assisting the Volunteer Coordinator to design and implement a program and campaign promoting KPIRG’s Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Strategy.
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to maintain the volunteer/street team database.
- Assist to Manage, schedule, and train volunteers for various Street Team led events.
- Keep a running tally of hours that volunteers have worked throughout the year.
- Coordinate with the Marketing team to obtain brochures and other handouts for marketing events.
- Assist with regular programming at KPU including general meetings, monthly workshops, film screenings and events
- Assisting the Volunteer Coordinator in process of planning for week long Dis/Orientation for September
- Assist in coordination of the Street Team Committee – including coordinating meeting times with other student and community organizations
- Research and plan exciting new events to host on and off the KPU campuses
- Attend internal meetings to facilitate knowledge base of Reporting to Board of Directors with frequently asked questions, participation data, etc.
- Coordinate term events and programming at KPU, which can include workshops, film screenings and events, etc.
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through tabling at all KPU campuses
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through assisting the street team coordinator in delivering classroom talks
- Administrative support around event planning with the Director of Campus Life
- Plan and connect with organizations and groups on campus to work on events throughout the spring and summer.
- Assist in coordination of logistics for Fall Volunteer Recruitment Drive of KPIRG.
- Helping to design and implement a program and campaign promoting KPIRG’s Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Strategy with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Assist with the summer programming at KPU including monthly workshops, film screenings and events
- Assist volunteer coordinator in process of planning for week long Dis/Orientation for September
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator and the Dis/Orientation organizing committee in the planning for Dis/Orientation.
- Assist in coordinating the Limits to Growth Series
- Assist the Director of Community through Research and approach of South of the Fraser organizations and artists to invite for relevant events and programming.
- Assist the Outreach and Communications Coordinator to develop resources to provide to community groups and student clubs about what KPIRG is, what it has accomplished, and how it could help them; this will include research and producing a report and outreach materials
Skills and Experience Required:
- Big Personality
- Strong ability to work independently and to take initiative within deadlines
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills
- Comfortable with logistical planning
- Interpersonal communication and info/skill-sharing skills (approachable, friendly, responsive, clear)
- Excellent written skills
- Good computer and email skills
- Organized, resourceful, and self-initiated
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Experience with and understanding of marketing & publicity campaigns
- Capacity to be self-directed and work in a collective structure using consensus decision – making
Affirmative Action: KPIRG is an affirmative action and an equal opportunity employer. Hiring preference shall be given to qualified applicants from groups who face systemic barriers to employment (such as women, Indigenous folks, people of colour, queer folks, trans folks, people with disabilities, etc.). Applicants wanting to be considered under affirmative action should discuss this in their cover letter. We encourage applicants to include other skills and experiences in addition to those outlined above.
What to Send Us: Please submit cover letter and resume for the attention of the Hiring Committee via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Events and Street Team Coordinator Application’ in the subject heading of the email and include both documents in 1 attached PDF file only.
Deadline for application is Friday December 16th, 2016 at midnight.
Late applications not accepted. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Interviews will be held during the week of Monday December 19th – Friday December 23rd, 2016