JOB POSTING: Outreach and Communications Coordinator
Closing Date: Monday, August 7th, 2017, 11:59 P.M. PST
Part-Time Permanent Position: 28 hours / week
Term: Starting August 21, 2017 for a 1 year term, with the possibility of an extension.
Wage Rate: $22.00/hr with Health and Dental benefits. This is a unionized position with United Steelworkers (USW) Local 2009.
The Kwantlen Public Interest Research Group (KPIRG) is a student-funded and student-directed resource centre dedicated to social and environmental justice.
This position is one of three part-time core staff that manages the day-to-day work of KPIRG. Responsibilities include marketing, outreach and communications coordination, overseeing the lending library while working collectively with staff and the board of directors to manage the organization. The position involves extensive work with volunteers, the KPIRG board, temporary staff, and students. Applicants must be able to multi-task, work efficiently in a busy environment, and provide a strong leadership and professional role in organizing and mentoring KPIRG’s marketing, outreach, and communications systems as a whole. An emphasis on process is key, meaning that applicants must value collective work and consensus decision-making within an anti-oppression framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to the Bylaws, Policies and Procedures and contribute to any relevant amendments to the policy as necessary
- KPIRG main means of accruing media and procuring the appropriate outlets of communication
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through tabling at all KPU campuses
- Promoting KPIRG and its projects / programming / resources through organizing and delivering classroom talks
- Helping to design and distribute a publicity package for KPIRG’s custom workshop consultancy
- Helping to design and implement a campaign promoting KPIRG’s Community Membership Scheme
- Reception, office coverage and other admin & outreach tasks as required
- Administrative support around event planning with the Board of Directors.
- Plan and connect with organizations and groups on campus to work on events throughout the summer and fall
- Assist in coordination of logistics for Fall Volunteer Recruitment Drive of KPIRG, including preparing for event coordination for the Fall Semester with personnel.
- Helping to design and implement a program and campaign promoting KPIRG’s Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Strategy.
- Assist with the summer programming at KPU including monthly workshops, film screenings and events
- Assist in process of planning for week long Dis/Orientation for September
- Assist in coordination of event planning – including coordinating meeting times with other student and community organizations
- Research and approach South of the Fraser organizations and artists to invite for events etc.
- Research and plan exciting new events to host on and off the KPU campuses
- Minimum of 3 years of Marketing experience or training
- Excellent communication skills (approachable, friendly, responsive, clear)
- Proficiency in Social Media platforms
- Proficiency in administration of WordPress website
- Graphic design skills – Adobe Suite (desirable)
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Experience with marketing & publicity campaigns
- Excellent written skills
- Understand and research any relevant best practice or regulatory requirements
- Good computer and email skills
- Organized, resourceful, and self-initiated
- Capacity to be self-directed and work in a collective structure using consensus decision –making
- A sense of humor
Affirmative Action: KPIRG is an affirmative action employer. Hiring preference shall be given to qualified applicants from groups who face systemic barriers to employment (such as women, Indigenous folks, people of colour, queer folks, trans folks, people with disabilities, etc.). Applicants wanting to be considered under affirmative action should discuss this in their cover letter. We encourage applicants to include other skills and experiences in addition to those outlined above.
What to Send Us: Please submit cover letter, resume and references for the attention of the Hiring Committee via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Outreach and Communications Coordinator Application’ in the subject heading of the email and include both documents in 1 attached file only.
Deadline for application is Monday, August 7th, 2017 at 11:59 PST.
Late or incomplete applications not accepted. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Interviews will be held during the week of August 14-17, 2017
Mail: KPIRG, KPU, 12666 72nd Ave, Surrey, BC V3W 2M8. Unceded Coast Salish Territories.