JOB POSTING: Administrative and Resource Coordinator
Closing Date: Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 11:59 P.M. PST
Part-Time Permanent Position: 28 hours / week
Term: Starting Monday, September 11, 2017
Wage Rate: $26.00/hr with Health and Dental benefits. This is a unionized position with United Steelworkers (USW) Local 2009.
The Kwantlen Public Interest Research Group (KPIRG) is a student-funded and student-directed resource centre dedicated to social and environmental justice.
This position is one of three part-time core staff that manages the day-to-day work of KPIRG. Responsibilities include financial, administrative & office coordination, overseeing the lending library while working collectively with staff and the board of directors to manage the organization. The position involves extensive work with volunteers, the KPIRG board, temporary staff and students. Applicants must be able to multi-task, work efficiently in a busy environment and provide a strong leadership role in organizing and mentoring KPIRG’s administrative & financial systems and the organization as a whole. An emphasis on process is key, meaning that applicants must value collective work and consensus decision-making within an anti-oppression framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Position Specific Duties:
- Office Coordination: office supplies, equipment, food ordering, contact sheets, space maintenance, filing systems,
- Financial Administration: development of annual budget, payroll, liaise with bookkeeper, apply for and administer grants, petty cash, produce monthly financial statements, liaise with auditor for year-end compilation, invoicing,
- Employee Administration: payroll, administer work study program, benefits set up
- Organizational Administration: insurance, contracts, room bookings, membership lists and opt-out period, policy development (for example, bylaws)
- Board support: admin, meeting coordination, Board training
- Contribute to ongoing organizational development of KPIRG including strategic planning, hirings, and staff collective development
- IT: Oversee computer network liaise with consultants over upgrades and repair
- Administrative work on KPIRG elections. AGM, and other organizational developments
- Manage and oversee the resource library including online database, volunteers, and acquisitions
- Coordinate staff meetings (scheduling, agenda, & minutes) and support staff collective development
- Organizational and Collective Duties
- Work with the other staff to manage KPIRG: staff and maintain the office; respond to requests from students and the public; participate in KPIRG organizational work, initiatives and events
- Collaborate with the staff collective to determine and prioritize the goals for each semester and to delegate the day-to-day management of the organization
Skills and Experience Required:
- Education and/or work experience doing administration in a non-profit or community setting
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Windows
- Extremely well-organized, attention to detail, excellent time-management skills
- Love of numbers, spreadsheets and filing systems
- Bookkeeping experience, including familiarity with Simply Accounting, an asset
- Excellent communication skills: clear written and verbal communication, conflict resolution, facilitation, ability to dialogue with diverse parties, ability to openly give and accept feedback
- Ability to be self-directed and efficient in a hectic environment
- Excellent computer and technical skills
- Organizational Development experience: planning, coordinating, working with volunteers
- Experience in progressive non-profit organizations: ability to translate vision into action, understand budget/finances, prioritize and delegate tasks
- Experience and interest in working in a collective setting using consensus
- Commitment to social and environmental justice and progressive social change, with a strong
- anti-oppression analysis and practice
- Interest and experience working in a mentorship capacity with young adults
- Basic computer repair and networking an asset
- A sense of humour
Affirmative Action: KPIRG is an affirmative action and an equal opportunity employer. Hiring preference shall be given to qualified applicants from groups who face systemic barriers to employment (such as women, Indigenous folks, people of colour, queer folks, trans folks, people with disabilities, etc.). Applicants wanting to be considered under affirmative action should discuss this in their cover letter. We encourage applicants to include other skills and experiences in addition to those outlined above. KPIRG is committed to accommodating people with mental and physical disabilities, including, for example, obtaining necessary adaptive technologies.
Please submit cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Attention: Research Coordinator – HR Committee
Please include cover letter and resume in ONE attached document, with your name as the title of the file. PDF format is preferred.
Application deadline is Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, at 11:59 P.M. PST
Interviews will take place between Tuesday, September 5 and Friday, September 8, 2017
Late or incomplete applications not accepted. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Mail: KPIRG, KPU, 12666 72nd Ave, Surrey, BC V3W 2M8. Unceded Coast Salish Territories.